Sunday, April 4, 2010

Charles Peguy's Poetry

Ask a father if his best moment
Is not when his sons begin to love him like men,
Him as a man,
Freely,
Gratuitously,
As a father whose children are growing up.
As a father if there is not a chosen time above all
And if it is not
Precisely when submission ceases and his sons become men
Love him (treat him) so to speak from knowledge,
As man to man,
Freely,
Gratuitously. Esteem him thus.
Ask a father if he does not know that nothing is equal
To the glance of a man meeting the glance of a man.
Well, I am their father, God says, and I know man's condition.
It is I who made him.
I do not ask too much of them. I only ask for their hearts,
When I have their hearts, I am satisfied, I am not hard to please.
All the slavish submissions are not worth one frank look from a free man.
Or rather, all the slavish submissions in the world repel me and I would give everything
For one frank look from a free man.
For one beautiful action of obedience and tenderness and devotion from a free man.
For a look from Saint Louis,
And even a look from Joinville, for Joinville is less saintly but he is no less free.
(and he is no less a Christian).
And he is no less gratuitous.
And my Son also died for Joinville.
To that liberty, to that gratuitousness I have sacrificed everything, God says,
To that taste I have for being loved by free men,
Freely,
Gratuitously,
By real men virile, adult, firm,
Noble, tender but with a firm tenderness.
To obtain that liberty, that gratuitousness I have sacrificed everything,
To create that liberty, that gratuitousness,
To set going that liberty, that gratuitousness.
To teach him liberty.
Well, with my Wisdom I have not too much
To teach him liberty,
With all the Wisdom of my Providence, I have not too much,
And even with the duplicity of my Wisdom for that double instruction.
What measures I must observe, and how can I calculate them.
Who else can calculate them. And how double-faced I must be
And how prudently I must arrange that deceit
(This is going to scandalize our Pharisees again),
How prudently I must calculate my very duplicity!
What must not my prudence be! I must create, I must teach them liberty
Without risking their salvation. For if I support them too much, they will never learn to swim,
But if I do not support them just at the right moment
They go under, they swallow a nasty mouthful, they dive down,
And they must not sink
In that ocean of turpitude.